Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Irrational Love



When Bean was a newborn, Grandma B. sent us a little stuffed black-and-white puppy that she won at her nursing home's bingo match. I remember receiving it and thinking, "Oh, I wanted something black and white for E. because, apparently, black and white is good for brain stimulation." That was as far as that thought went, because I was too sleep deprived to consider color effects on a 2-month old.

Puppy stayed in the living room and after a while E. gravitated toward him. She would always reach for him over other toys, and he quickly became a MAJOR part of her life. From those early days to now, she sleeps with Puppy during every nap and night.

Two years later, Puppy is a part of our family. I know that sounds very strange, but to illustrate mine and Pete's love of this animal, I give you the following story:

E often "adopts" baby dolls at her daycare and throws fits if she can't take them home. Our sweet daycare lets her bring them home now and then. Last week, "Keeta" was brought into our house. A cute little cabbage patch doll. When it was time to go to bed, E said, "I want Keeta to sleep with me. Take Puppy away." P. and I looked at each other and thought "HELL NO!" so we put puppy in the corner of her crib and walked out of her room.

As we shut the door, this is what happened:

Pete turned to me and said "Eff that little interloper who's trying to replace Puppy. That ain't happening."

I find this amusing for so many reasons. Mainly because Jersey Pete came out over a stuffed animal (my, oh my, how times have changed) and because we both have this protective love for a stuffed animal. I know there is deep sentiment, because it came from Pete's grandma, but it goes beyond that.

We often find ourselves saying hi to Puppy, even when Eliza is not around. He is our daughter's first friend, in a way, so we will always love him.

He has comforted her when we couldn't possibly understand the fit she was having over, say, the fact that I grabbed the pink cup instead of the purple cup, or tried to change her diaper when she was busy doing a puzzle. Puppy gets it and Pete and I are forever grateful.

And Eliza might not admit it, but when she woke up in the middle of the night to see Puppy by her side along with Keeta, there were no complaints.

2 comments:

MtngirlinCali said...

Oh, this was cute. :) Maybe she'll gift Puppy to the boys.....and you'll have many more years to say hi to him.

Sharon said...

Jim and I should tell you about the time one of our crazy au pairs stole a Terry lamb. Beeyotch. I almost flew to Australia to kick her a$$.

So yes, I get where you're coming from. And Terry is black and white, too!