Sunday, December 17, 2006

Road Trip

Well, this is it. Our last week as Rocky Mountain residents. Time to get ready, emotionally and physically, for a three-day drive across not-so-scenic states. We start in Eastern Colorado, which should succeed to Kansas, in my own humble opinion, because it does not look, feel or vote like Colorado. Then we hit Nebraska. Oh, corn huskers, how I love you. Then it's Iowa to Illinois - then on to our new home...Ann Arbor, Michigan.

As any good road tripper knows the route is only as good as the music selection. I have a six disc CD player, so following is a list of the six Cd's that will hopefully get us to Omaha. Pete and I are driving both our cars out, so there won't be a CD changer sidekick. All the more reason for a play list.

1. Amos Lee "Supply and Demand" No doubt that I will cry like a little baby when we leave the Rockies, which means I need a certain kind of musical comfort. Amos Lee is the man for this tough job. Sometimes all a girl needs to feel better is a lonely man on a guitar whose lyrics make you think your life ain't that bad. http://www.amoslee.com

2. Tom Petty "Full Moon Fever" - I'm almost out of Colorado and my tears have dried up yet I have that tired-from-crying thing going for me, so it's time for a pick me up that only Mr. Petty can bring.

3. Billboard Hits 1979 - Sick of the same artist 12 songs in a row, I'll shake things up a little to a timeless Billboard Hits album that includes The Pointer Sisters and Rupert Holmes. Please note that I WILL NOT listen to two of the tracks on this album: I Will Survive and YMCA. Bad, bad road trip songage. This classic CD ends with "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and the southern girl that I am feels all warm and fuzzy.

4. Pete and Ericka's Wedding CD - Was this an obvious choice? While Pete might have spent an entire year compiling this list, and while it holds much happiness for yours truly, it's also a kick-ass compilation. We are talking Bruce, The Stones, The Yardbirds and Wille Nelson on the same CD. That's enough to kick I80's arse.

5. David Sedaris Live at Carnegie Hall - I know this isn't exactly a musical selection but it will bring some much needed laughter to the car. David's brilliant antics about Christmastime and his nutty family make me so nostalgic for home.

6. The Shins "Oh, Inverted World" - The Shins are haunting. They keep me wanting for more every time I listen to them, which is a bonus because this stretch of the trip is winding down but looming over me is another 10 hour day on the road.

Until we meet again.

11 comments:

Pete said...

It's a good thing you get a dose of Bruce on the wedding album, because it would be criminal go on a road trip without a man who worships cars, the open road and the metaphor of the highway as a path to a better life.

All good choices.

I'm intrigued by your selection of "Oh, Inverted World!" over "Chutes Too Narrow" in the Shins' slot.

Perhaps soon we will add their new album to that rotation.

Sincerely,

Jersey Hustla

Schiv said...

Amos Lee is the pefect selection for the hour or so that will be spent mostly looking in the rearview mirror. Bittersweet, but hopeful. Plus, you can pretend that you're a lonely blues man on a tour bus heading to you don't know where. Can you play harmonica and drive at the same time?

MtngirlinCali said...

You have our sympathies on the drive! (of course, we'll beat you to the road trip with our very own on Friday.....) Remember that the speed limit goes down to 60 in Kansas, and that the cops are phenomenally good at writing speeding tickets. Also note that Oakley, Kansas is home to the World's Largest Prairie Dog. While we don't suggest stopping and paying to see it, it's very important that you acknowledge its presence with a wave as you barrel down the highway at the snail's pace of 60 mph. Do not patronize the Colby, KS Pizza Hut. Their salad bar will make you intimitely familiar with the side of the road.

I think that's the end of the advice. Sounds like you've got it all planned out, Ericka! Big shocker there. ;) Hehehe.... See you soon.

Ericka Bigelow said...

Erin,

I'm totally stopping to look at the worlds largest prarie dog.

Ughh, road food. I hate it. I'm just not a mcdonald's kinda gal. If I'm eating a burger, it has to be a damn good burger. Perhaps Omaha will bring us a great burger?

MtngirlinCali said...

PB&J all the way. I'm going to make them an hour before we leave and nosh across the mountains. I can't handle seeing another burger for a while. Tim's gone In n' Out crazy since we've been here! Double double.....heartburn and trouble....;)

Subway! That's the way to go. Every town has one, no matter how small. And it's pretty much impossible to mess up a sub. (Although I won't guarantee-- you are driving across a bunch of square states)

Todd Cohen said...

I got turned onto the Shins after purchasing the Garden State soundtrack.

(Yes, I am the loser who still buys CDs)

I believe the Jack Johnson song "Better Together" was notably omitted from your CD at the wedding. It was one reason I didn't put up a HUGE fight when the girlfriend decided to take the CD as her own.

Not that I would have won the fight.

Verbally, or physically, of course.

Ericka Bigelow said...

Todd,

Pete and I found The Shins thanks to Gardenstate as well. That is a cd that will also be on my road trip list.

The Jack Johnson song is number two on the cd. And, if you need a copy of your own, I might know a guy who knows a guy...

Todd Cohen said...

After receiving a chocolate cake in the mail, I don't doubt that.

But after all the money I have made the man spend on postage, it's highly unneccessary.

Todd Cohen said...

This just in....The Shins will be on Saturday Night Live on Jan 13th.

Hope you are enjoying your new home!

Ericka Bigelow said...

That's great, Todd. Wanna come over and watch it with us?? What's a little plane ride for some good SNL with old friends???

Todd Cohen said...

Don't think I won't take you up on that.

It's Dr. Martin Luther the King Day on Monday...so I have a long weekend and there's nothing more enticing that January in Michigan.